Step 1: Put your MP3 player or whatever on random.
Step 2: Post the first line from the first 15 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing the song.
Step 2.5: Eliminate instrumentals, and songs whose first line *is* the title.
Step 3: Post and let everyone you know guess what song and artist the lines come from.
Step 4: Strike out the songs when someone guesses correctly.
Step 5: Looking them up on Google or any other search engine is CHEATING!
3. Those times I waited for you seem so long ago / I wanted you far too much to ever let you go
5. I don't want you to misunderstand me / I just want to say what's on my mind
8. I get such a thrill when you look in my eyes / My heart skips a beat, girl, I feel so alive
11. I caught you smiling, I know I've seen you here before / How come you're hiding? Hey don't you wanna hit the floor?
14. Do you hear me? / Do you care?
15. Is there anything more I can do for you? / Should my hair be red or shall it be blue?
3. This bit of early-1980s nostalgia is one of this band's two hits, the other of which has a chorus which starts, "Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang! Bang!"
5. This 1980s power ballad was the lead song on the band's 17th album
8. Caribbean-pop song probably best known from the soundtrack of a popular 2001 animated movie
11. Another song made famous by being included on a movie soundtrack, this one from a very popular 1980s Kevin Bacon movie
14. If you can't get this 1980s song from the first two lines, try picturing the lead singer's multicolored hair, plastic & vinyl bra, and speakers strapped to her waist
15. This 1994 club/dance song is the only one on this list whose first line arguably violates step 2.5
Caveats: I cheated a little by setting the selection for Rock/Pop, Electronica, and Rap/R&B, so no classical, swing, jazz, folk, polka, etc. music here. Also, since kateshort and I share a playlist, after knocking out the instrumentals and those whose first lines are the title, I then knocked out songs that even I didn't recognize at all.
(Can you tell that I not only actually have a little vacation time right now, but also don't have a list of chores the length of my arm? Feels good once in a while to have some free time and nothing to fill it with!)
Feudalism: Serf & Turf