1. Not counting the sessession and readmittance of the Confederate States of America, which four U.S. states were independent nations (all organized as republics) before they joined the United States? (Bonus question: Which one of those four was an independent republic for the longest time?)
2. A few years after the State of Franklin got a majority of the votes from the other states to be admitted to the U.S. as a state, but fell two votes short of the 2/3 total needed at the time, it dissolved into being a territory, and more than a decade later was officially admitted to the U.S. as what state?
3. Long before the Civil War, which two modern U.S. states went to war with each other over possession of an area of swampland? (Bonus question: When this dispute was finally settled, one state got all of the disputed land; what did the other state get in exchange?)
4. Of the twenty British colonies present in North America in 1776, which two stayed loyal to England during the American Revolution, but later joined the U.S.? (Bonus question: Name the other five loyal colonies.)
5. Which U.S. state was colonized by a European country other than England, France, Spain, Sweden, or the Netherlands?
Feudalism: Serf & Turf